With their smooth texture and delicate starchy sweetness, the sweet potato makes for excellent comfort food. Despite their sweet undertones, sweet potatoes are surprisingly low in calories and they are bursting full of health giving nutrients. One baked, medium-sized sweet potato contains 438% of your daily value of vitamin A, 37% of your vitamin C, and 16% of vitamin B6. All this at just 105 calories!
All three of these vitamins have a crucial role to play in maintaining youthful skin. Vitamin A helps regulate sebaceous glands, Vitamin C is necessary for the production of collagen, and vitamin B6 helps to prevent dandruff. However, sweet potatoes have a special anti-aging factor – they stimulate the body to produce hyaluronic acid. The skin pumping, wrinkle reducing properties of hyaluronic acid are well known. Sweet potatoes are believed to be a contributing factor in the famed youthfulness of the the people of Yuzuris Hara, Japan. Also known as the “village of long life, ” the inhabitants of Yuzuris Hara all have smooth, wrinkle-free skin, good eyesight, health and energy.
These baked sweet potato rosti are deceptively simple to make, and very moreish.
Sweet Potato Rosti with Goats Cheese
Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7
- 1 clove garlic
- 750g sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 200g goats cheese
- 2 Medium eggs
- Grate the sweet potatoes using the coarse side of the grater or a food processor. Place in a clean tea towel and squeeze out any liquid, then place the potato in a bowl.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add to the grated potato with half the cheese and the beaten eggs. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into rough cakes with your hands. Place on a large non-stick baking tray, and drizzle with the remaining oil. Roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the rosti from the oven and scatter the remaining cheese over. Return to the oven and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is just turning golden. Serve immediately, with a crisp salad and crusty bread.