The best way to boost beneficial oils in the diet is to eat 15ml of pure, cold pressed oils each day, from a variety of sources. These should be added after cooking because many plant oils breakdown when heated to form toxic by-products.
Oil Enriched Quark & Cayenne Whip with Spring Onion
The following recipe for oil enriched Quark & Cayenne Whip is a flavoursome spread that offers a simple way of including vital oils in the diet. This recipe uses coconut, olive and pumpkin seed oil and can be used in sandwiches or on crackers. Here is a quick low-down just a few of the benefits of these 3 oils:
- Olive oil and coconut oil are extremely low in omega-6 fats. Whilst Omega 6 fats are required by the body, they can cause inflammation if not eaten in balance with other fats such as Omega 3’s. Generally the western diet is very high in Omega 6, and to restore the balance it is wise to reduce Omega 6 oils and increase Omega 3 oils.
- Pumpkin Seed Oil does contain some Omega 6, but it has a broad spectrum Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) profile with antioxidant properties. It is also high in fat soluble chlorophyll which is very health promoting.
- Coconut oil is loaded with beneficial medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) that help you lose weight and boost mental energy (I have written more on coconut oil here).
- Olive oil has a similar ration of EFA’s as human breast milk, is a useful source of vitamin E and is known to promote healthy cholesterol profle in the body and is
- 2 Tablespoons Quark, low-fat soft cheese or Cottage Cheese
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablepsoon Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Celery Salt & Cayenne Pepper to Season
- Mix the oils together in a small bowl until the coconut oil is combined with the liquid oils.
- Stir in the Quark.
- Season to taste. Eat with rice cakes or crackers.